Maya Level 5: Character Development & Modeling Intensive
Course Duration: 40 hours
Overview: This Maya Level 5: Character Development & Modeling Intensive class is an advanced introduction to 2D and 3D character creation utilizing pencil, pens, markers and Maya. Learn basics of shading, story boarding, and the basics of rigging.
Prerequisite: Degree in industrial design or interest in product design.
- Character development
- Character, scenario, and drama categories.
- Brainstorming and simple sketching.
- Techniques and steps for sketching.
- Story boarding
- Establish a strong foundation in Maya to build on as you learn.
- Learn the Maya interface: Rendering specific.
- Learn parenting by using the Hypergraph.
- Learn lighting and understand how a scene should be lit using Key, Fill and Back Lighting.
- Create an environment for the character.
- Learn how to create shadows and reflections to create atmosphere for the scene.
- Learn object shading and texturing.
- Learn the advanced use of Hypershade and how to create shading networks.
- Advanced overview of lighting.
- Learn how to prepare a scene before rendering: learn how to adjust the anti-aliasing, resolution, format, and shadows.
- Discuss sketching techniques used in comic book development and compare that to industrial designer’s concept development techniques. Learn to use ideation techniques in character development.
- Discuss proving form and go over techniques for ideation.
- Discuss more advanced NURBS, polygon, and subdivision surfaces.
- Discuss strengths & weaknesses comparing polygonal and boundary modeling with respect to rendering in Maya to other high-end industry standard rendering software.
- Discuss light reflections with respect to subconscious understanding of the 3D form.
- Understand the common material attributes of Color, Incandescence, Bump Mapping, Diffuse, Incandescence, Transparency and Translucence.
- Understand Bump Mapping and what it can achieve in a scene.
- Discuss story boarding and presentation techniques.
- Sketch and render simple forms using pencil, pens, and markers.
- Sketch and render a character using pencil, pens, and markers.
- Iterate multiple characters using loosely defined shapes and then generate iterations from those sketches. No less than 8 concepts in 8 hours.
- Develop one of the 8 concepts in Maya using a polygonal cube.
Click To View Images:
“Maya classes, training, courses”