Local Motors design of the Rally Fighter is believed to be the first production vehicle to be designed through crowd sourcing, the process of drawing input from a global community of interested people via the Internet.
The design was chosen through a 2009 vote by a community of hundreds of people on the Internet. The winning design was submitted by Sangho Kim of Pasadena, California, and the result is a car with a 6.2-liter engine, eight cylinders, automatic transmission, rear-wheel drive and 430 horsepower. The Web community also participated in the design of several vehicle components.
The price of this car is $99,900, which includes a six-day stay at Local Motors’ Arizona plant to build the car since you don’t get an assembled car but a kit. It includes detailed instructions in the form of manuals, wikis and YouTube how-to videos and the support of Local Motors’ experts. Local Motors also has a complete set of files so you can customize as engineers are so often inclined to do. Download Solidworks & IGES.
Local Motors has created an amazing wealth of options you can choose from to custom build your own Rally Fighter. Rally Figther’s site details the help and options you get with your purchase of a new Rally fighter plus an order form so you can start building your own.
LIST OF OPTIONS FOR YOUR RALLY FIGHTER:
- Head Turning Rally Fighter design by Sangho Kim, limited to 2,000 cars
- Tubular steel space frame hand built by Local Motors
- 6.2 Liter, V8 Engine, 430 Horsepower, 424 lbft Torque
- Automatic Transmission
- Front Suspension: 18” travel, independent double A-arm
- Rear Suspension: 20” travel, 4-Link solid axle
- Solid vinyl wrap
- And the Local Motors Build Experience
- 6 days in the Factory constructing your car with a friend and an expert Builder Trainer
- (Two three day Sessions) (Start on a Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday Return the following Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
- Local Motors Trainers are with you for every step of the build process, no prior experience required
- Build space and all tools
- Catered Lunch, snacks, drinks
- Training on how to drive your Rally Fighter
- Plus, this All-Inclusive Hospitality Package is complimentary
- 6 nights stay at a nearby hotel (Fairfield Inn & Suites / Chandler Fashion Center)
- Airport pick-up and drop-off
- Daily shuttle services to & from the micro-factory