Maya Character Development & Modeling Intensive
This Maya Character Development & Modeling Intensive class is an advanced introduction to 2D and 3D character creation utilizing pencil, pens, markers and Maya. Learn basics of shading, story boarding, and the basics of rigging.
- Character development
- Character, scenario, and drama categories.
- Brainstorming and simple sketching.
- Techniques and steps for sketching.
- Story boarding
- Establish a strong foundation in Maya to build on as you learn.
- Learn the Maya interface: Rendering specific.
- Learn parenting by using the Hypergraph.
- Learn lighting and understand how a scene should be lit using Key, Fill and Back Lighting.
- Create an environment for the character.
- Learn how to create shadows and reflections to create atmosphere for the scene.
- Learn object shading and texturing.
- Learn the advanced use of Hypershade and how to create shading networks.
- Advanced overview of lighting.
- Learn how to prepare a scene before rendering: learn how to adjust the anti-aliasing, resolution, format, and shadows.
Degree in industrial design or interest in product design.
- Discuss sketching techniques used in comic book development and compare that to industrial designer’s concept development techniques. Learn to use ideation techniques in character development.
- Discuss proving form and go over techniques for ideation.
- Discuss more advanced NURBS, polygon, and subdivision surfaces.
- Discuss strengths & weaknesses comparing polygonal and boundary modeling with respect to rendering in Maya to other high-end industry standard rendering software.
- Discuss light reflections with respect to subconscious understanding of the 3D form.
- Understand the common material attributes of Color, Incandescence, Bump Mapping, Diffuse, Incandescence, Transparency and Translucence.
- Understand Bump Mapping and what it can achieve in a scene.
- Discuss story boarding and presentation techniques.
- Sketch and render simple forms using pencil, pens, and markers.
- Sketch and render a character using pencil, pens, and markers.
- Iterate multiple characters using loosely defined shapes and then generate iterations from those sketches. No less than 8 concepts in 8 hours.
- Develop one of the 8 concepts in Maya using a polygonal cube.